Saturday, May 29, 2010

Why am I doing this?

When I told my husband I was going to begin writing a blog about my bed rest experience he laughed uncontrollably. And quite naturally asked the following questions:
  • Was I prepared to have it publicly available? YES
  • Would I actively promote it? PROBABLY NOT
  • Would I encourage my friends and family to read it? POSSIBLY - ONCE I'D GOT IT TO A STAGE THAT I WAS COMFORTABLE WITH IT
  • Am I expecting any avid followers? CERTAINLY NOT
  • Am I expecting / intending the content to be of interest to anyone but me? PROBABLY NOT
  • Do I care if anyone else reads it? ABSOLUTELY NOT
  • Will it be funny? I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT - HUMOUR IS NOT MY STRONG POINT

Considering the answers to the above, he advised this isn't really a blog, but instead a diary. So why don't I stick to traditional pen and paper or MS Word? Well, the answer to pen and paper is easy - it's not that easy to write well when you're half lying down/ lying on your side. And as for MS Word, well that made it feel like a book and this is not a book. Instead it's exactly what it says on the can - the ramblings of a mum on bed rest. And so an online blog felt like the most natural, and convenient media for it.

I guess it's my version of a diary so I have this experience, the good and the bad, the highs and the lows, officially documented. It's my emotional outlet. After all, there are only so many tears a girl can shed, so many shoulders you can cry on and so many emotions you can communicate verbally. And as anyone who's ever been through pregnancy bed rest knows, this a complete emotional roller coaster. And it's a way of passing time and getting through the day without resorting to too much daytime TV.

So that's my logic for doing this. Read it if you won't, ignore it if you don't. Whether you like it or hate it, or whatever thoughts you have about it, remember I'm not doing this for my audience. I'm not doing it to communicate any hard held beliefs or opinions. I'm doing it for me - and my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment