Friday, September 3, 2010

No Milk for Billy

After over a week of enduring severe diaper rash with no improvement despite the treatment for a yeast infection, Billy and I were back to the doctors this morning.  She still suspects it is a yeast infection but it’s not clearing as he’s pooping so much.  So we’re to continue with the treatment and put Billy on a hypoallergenic formula (at vast expense may I add) to rule out a sensitivity to milk protein. 

I’m to continue pumping and freezing the milk in the hope that in a few weeks once all is cleared up and his system has adjusted we can introduce one or two feeds of breast milk a day which hopefully in that small quantity won’t irritate his stomach.

Fingers crossed it works. The poor little guy is in so much pain every time we have to change his diaper that it breaks my heart. He cries so much and with such force that by the end of every diaper change he’s hoarse.

The good news is that the pumping / freezing will give me a bit of a break as there’s little point in me pumping at every feed. She suggested I pump four times a day which is much more manageable. Already I’m feeling more relaxed which I’m hoping will in turn make Billy more relaxed. That said I’m unsure if it’s possible for someone who sleeps about 21 hours a day to get much more relaxed!

In short, feeling relieved all round and sincerely hoping that my trips to the pediatrician / lactation consultants will now taper off. Between Billy and Jemima in the past 3 weeks I think we’ve been to the pediatrician’s 8 times, the women’s clinic 5 times, plus one MRI scan. Is it any wonder that I feeling is if I’m achieving anything else during the day? And no wonder I’m exhausted!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing a damn fine job to me considering a> what you've been through during your pregnancy and b> child birth and c> complications with the nappy rash, weight loss etc etc - no easy ride for any mother! And Jemima looks like a super (and free!) nanny. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete