Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 13: Just 7 1bs heavier

I know this is a situation that most women would be loving but since I was weighted when 8 weeks pregnant, I’ve gained just 71bs.  The doctor doesn’t seem concerned and so far the baby is growing well (nearly 2lbs just over a week ago)  but I’d feel happier if I was packing on a few more pounds.

However, on the downside, I was also rudely informed by the doctor that one reason she’s not worried is because at just 5ft 3ish inches tall, and weighing 135 lbs at week 8, I was in fact 15-20lbs over weight to start with. 

So let me recap – in the past 4 weeks my OB has given me three key bits of information: –

  1. I have an incompetent cervix
  2. I have an irritable uterus
  3. I am (or at least was) fat.

I mean talk about kicking a girl when she’s down. Come on doc, where’s the sugar coating?  I should hate this women, but instead I have a deep respect for her and huge trust in her.  She works incredibly long hours, juggles a family with two small boys and doesn’t dress it up as being easy!

The good news from yesterday’s check up is that all is going well.  We’ll see what next week’s appointment throws up  when they check the length of my cervix.  Fingers crossed it’s still a whopping 2.5cms.

On the downside, after just 2 hours away from my sofa I was shattered. And I mean shattered.  I immediately snoozed on the sofa when we got home and didn’t quite recover for the rest of the day. In fact, I’ve even spent all of this morning in bed, rather than on the sofa and yes that included a couple of snoozes too.

So last night was a little scary, and in hindsight a little amusing. I woke up at 3am feeling distinct pressure ‘down below’. My alarm bells started ringing but I stayed calm and went back to sleep as was showing no other symptoms. At 5:30am was still feeling it and was about to wake up Ben to say that I thought the baby really was not far away.  Instead I opted to go to the loo first.  In turns out I wasn’t in pre-term labor as initially feared, I just needed to poop!  What a relief

2 comments:

  1. Ali, be a proud pom, it's poo not poop. What's with the faux seppo talk!! HXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali I had no idea - just saw the link to your blog on Facebook! you poor girl. Dan Brown books, Khalid Hosseini books, Farmville on Facebook and jigsaws will get you through it too! Will become a keen follower of your blog and will keep my fingers crossed for a long gestation and easy labour! Susannah xx PS do you know what you're having?

    ReplyDelete