Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 10: Becoming strangely addicted to puzzles

It’s dawned on me that this blog was probably far more exciting to everyone else when I had tales of false labor and recurring contractions to recount.  Personally, I’m glad I don’t and I hope it stays that way for many more weeks. I can only apologize (albeit very half-heartedly as I’m sure most of you would expect) if it makes for slightly dull reading.

In the absence of any hospital visits over the weekend and hence a very quite couple of days, I have to confess to turning into a bit of a nerd.  My drug of choice – word puzzles.  I know, and it pains me to say it, but I’m becoming worrying addicted.  And it certainly helps pass the hours and gives me some mental stimulation which quite frankly daytime TV fails to do.

I’m also ploughing through the Stieg Larsson book trilogy.  If you haven’t read ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ already I strongly encourage you to pick it up – but only if you don’t mind sacrificing some sleep as you read into the wee hours of the morning. It’s a real page turner. Ben is currently reading it – and he’s not normally a reader but even he managed to prioritize a few chapters of this over work yesterday. For those of you that know Ben that’s means it must be a really good book.

Currently I’m halfway through ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’ and while it was a little slower in the beginning I’m now and well and truly hooked.

I don’t know anyone from Sweden and have never spent any time there so have little understanding about their culture, but judging by the books they have a lot of sex – and most of it is somewhat questionable. Monogamy is not something they tend to practice and they also drink a lot of coffee. And I wasn’t aware that Sweden was a huge coffee drinking capital of the world but from what I’ve read so far it leaves Italians in the shade.

So it’s only fair to warn you now that by the time this bed rest is over I may well have mutated into a complete crime fiction and word puzzle geek, lacking in any social skills whatsoever.  I’ll be relying on all my wonderful friends to bring me back from the darkside and remind me of the joys of whiling away the hours over a latte or a glass of red while discussing the finer points of contemporary culture i.e. celebrity gossip, fashion must-haves and reality TV.  After all if you discuss these at the right level of detail then you’ll also touch on politics, the arts and religion at the same time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment