Thursday, June 17, 2010

Feeling very uninspired

Apologies - my posts this week have been few and far between. The reason being that I'm feeling very uninspired and increasingly frustrated with being able to do so little. Therefore I have little of interest to share and as I've been told many times, if you have nothing nice or interesting to say, it's better just to listen and learn.

Today it's five weeks since this enforced captivity began and in that time I've left the house just three or four times - each time for a doctors appointment. Life has hardly been exciting. But yes, things could be a lot lot worse so I count my blessings.

I'm also being humbled by the book I'm reading - Three Cups of Tea. For those not familiar with the title it's the story of a mountain climber, who following a failed attempt to summit K2 and upon being guided down the mountain by a local villager who also nursed him back to health, made a promise to return to Pakistan to build a school for the village. This task took him three years, the majority of which he lived on less than a shoestring saving every penny he had to fund the venture and every spare hour he had to fund raise. Finally he managed it and through further hard work in the end built nearly 20 schools I believe. I've only got as far as a dozen schools so far. But he turned his promise into his life's work, became a much loved member of many rural communities who live in conditions that we can't fathom and as a result made a huge difference to these people's lives. Suddenly my career in marketing seems a little pointless - let's face it I've hardly changed anyone's life. At best I've convinced them to part with some of their hard earned cash to buy things that they probably don't really want, certainly don't need and could undoubtedly live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment