Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 21: Crosswords to Cross stitch

This time 3 weeks ago I was recovering from the general anesthetic following the cerclage, suffering severe side effects from the magnesium sulphate drip, vomiting and doubting if I'd ever feel human again, despite the nurses reassurance that within 24 hours I'd feel like a new woman.

As per yesterday's post the cerclage is holding up nicely. Some additional news is that the results of the fibropectin test the doc did yesterday is negative which means I have a less than 1% chance of going into labor in the next 10 -14 days. All is currently going according to plan. And long may it last.

Today's been a good day. I found a lovely lady who comes to house to do manicures and pedicures so Mum, my friend Jen and I treated ourselves to a bit of at-home pampering. And I have to say it was lovely - a far nicer experience than the local nail salons that I usually frequent. And no more expensive. We're already planning another visit from her in a couple of weeks, perhaps this time a little later in the day so we can enjoy a bottle of wine. Obviously I'll only have a very small glass! We all got a bit of shock when our girl revealed that the reason she got divorced was because her husband was gay. She added that his boyfriend was rather lovely. Well, there's not much you can say to that and we were all a bit stunned.

So I've reached another level on the geek-o-meter. In an effort to keep boredom at bay Mum very kindly bought me a couple of small cross stick projects. I used to do quite a lot of needlework as a young girl but it's been a good 25 years, if not longer, since I've picked up an embroidery needle. In just three days I'm hooked - it's really quite addictive, not to mention tiring. It really does make your brain work as following the pattern is not as easy as it sounds. It's so addictive that I've still yet to get round to watching some of the films I had on my to-do list at the start of this bed rest experience. I actually found myself telling my neighbour earlier that the reason I hadn't watched 'It's Complicated' yet is because I just haven't had enough time. How ridiculous is that? I've been so conscious filling my days with activities so as to avoid the trap of daytime TV that I'm potentially missing out on the one good side of forced inactivity. I shall maybe put that to rights tomorrow and settle in for a good few hours of movie watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment